Contact Us
Call us 360 685 4221
Or schedule Your free consultation
222 Grand Avenue, Suite A, Bellingham, WA 98225

Legal Question: Public Defender

How do I get a public defender to represent a family member who is incarcerated in bringing a motion for release under the Smarter Sentencing Act?

The Smarter Sentencing Act is a piece of proposed federal legislation that has not yet been signed into law. There is a lot of chatter floating around (especially in jails) that you can bring a motion under this Act to get a person out of jail. That rumor is not true. However, assuming your family member was convicted in federal court, she can contact the federal public defender’s office for more information. Their website is This is probably the office that represented your family member before conviction.

Arrest Warrants

Arrest warrants are issued by judges when a person is wanted by the police for the commission of a…

Alternatives To Jail Time

The Bellingham Municipal Court system has approved the use of home detention and other…