Contact Us
Call us 360 685 4221
Or schedule Your free consultation
222 Grand Avenue, Suite A, Bellingham, WA 98225

Legal Question: Can I Keep My Firearm After a Deferred Sentence?

I interrupted a 911 call and it was considered domestic abuse, but I was charged with disorderly conduct. I’m getting it deferred. Will be able to keep my firearm?

In Washington, crimes can be designated as involving domestic violence. So, there would be the charge you were convicted of (for example, disorderly conduct), and then there would be a separate designation of “DV.” This is sometimes called a “DV tag.” If your disorderly conduct conviction was tagged as DV, you likely have lost your right to possess firearms for the time being. However, if the plea bargain involved just the disorderly conduct charge WITHOUT a DV tag, then you likely are not restricted from firearms.

Arrest Warrants

Arrest warrants are issued by judges when a person is wanted by the police for the commission of a…

Alternatives To Jail Time

The Bellingham Municipal Court system has approved the use of home detention and other…