Contact Us
Call us 360 685 4221
Or schedule Your free consultation
222 Grand Avenue, Suite A, Bellingham, WA 98225

Legal Question: I Disagree with My Public Defender

If my lawyer is a public defender and suggests I plead guilty without hearing my own side of a case, should I fire him?

You have the right to counsel in a criminal case, and you have been provided with a public defender. In most jurisdictions, your public defender is assigned to you. If you want a different lawyer of your own choosing, you will likely have to hire private counsel.

It sounds like you have a fundamental disagreement with your PD about pleading guilty. No one can force you to plead guilty. You have the absolute right to a jury trial, and can require the government to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt in order to convict you. You can tell your public defender that you want to exercise your right to trial with assigned counsel. You can hire your own attorney, hear what they recommend, and perhaps go to trial with a new lawyer of your own choosing. These are important decisions, so get some different opinions about your case and choose wisely.

Fill out the form below to contact the experienced defense attorneys of Lustick, Kaimain & Madrone for a free consultation on your case:

[gravityform id=”2″ title=”true” description=”t

Arrest Warrants

Arrest warrants are issued by judges when a person is wanted by the police for the commission of a…

Alternatives To Jail Time

The Bellingham Municipal Court system has approved the use of home detention and other…