Contact Us
Call us 360 685 4221
Or schedule Your free consultation
222 Grand Avenue, Suite A, Bellingham, WA 98225

Legal Question: First Degree Trespass

I opened a door, yelled at the homeowner and was charged with first degree trespass. Do I need an attorney?

First degree trespass in the unlawful entry into a building or structure without permission of the owner or entry after the permission to enter has been revoked by the owner. Trespassing first is a gross misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine, but no one gets this on their first offense.

From the facts you give, this could easily be a trespass one, but the prosecutor could probably be persuaded that you had not actually enter or that you lacked any intent to enter. It’s a better case of disorderly conduct, which basically amounts to a breach of the peace. You need to retain counsel and have he or she interview the homeowner.

Arrest Warrants

Arrest warrants are issued by judges when a person is wanted by the police for the commission of a…

Alternatives To Jail Time

The Bellingham Municipal Court system has approved the use of home detention and other…