Contact Us
Call us 360 685 4221
Or schedule Your free consultation
222 Grand Avenue, Suite A, Bellingham, WA 98225

Legal Question: Consensual Sex

I am 17, live in Washington and I am romantically interested in a 19-year-old in California. Is a sexual relationship legal?

In Washington, the age of consent is 16. If you engaged in sexual activity in Washington, those acts would be legal. However, California’s laws may be very different, and what is legal in Washington could be illegal in California.

If you communicate in a sexually explicit fashion using the Internet or other means, you could be violating federal law. You are at some risk, but without further specific detail its difficult to assess the level of that risk. If you are in doubt, exercise caution. Don’t put yourself or your paramour in danger of being arrested and charged with a crime.

Arrest Warrants

Arrest warrants are issued by judges when a person is wanted by the police for the commission of a…

Alternatives To Jail Time

The Bellingham Municipal Court system has approved the use of home detention and other…